Wednesday, August 18, 2010

DC and Marvel November Covers

Every month I get all kinds of excited when the major comic book publishers release their upcoming solicitations. Not that I read what's going to be happening, but I love looking at the pretty covers. Here are my favorites from Marvel and DC.
Here is the cover to Sweet Tooth. I'm a sucker for stark contrast, and the blood covering the man really brings a visceral brutality to the cover that is nicely shocking.

X-Files finally crosses over with 30 Days of Night! Alright, I wasn't thinking that would ever happen, but I really enjoy the gritty feel of this one.

Superboy is getting a new ongoing, and it looks like DC is going to be focusing on the fun parts of being the Boy of Steel. I get a great positive vibe coming from this one, coming largely from the smirk on Connor's face and the bright yellow background. The whole piece feels really warm and welcoming.

Scalped pretty constantly has my favorite covers, but this one is significant for me thanks to, largely, the "desk". I like the smug sheriff, but the juxtaposition of his conceit and arrogance with the fruits of his labor is striking in a way that alters the sheriff into something sinister.

Sam's hat and hand make this.

I'll always enjoy an Usual Suspects homage, combine that with this excellent art and the attitude of the DV8 team, I'm happy. The carrier brings this home, showing the viewer that there is more to this crew than just a caper.

I love the grittiness and collage like feel to this image.


Jae Lee is a wonderful artist. Everything he draws grabs my eye. Look at Namor's face here. He's staring down a monster that would scare the pants off of anyone, but Namor looks at the creature with disdain.


This cover perfectly captures the feel of the book and manages to tell a story in the process.

I love the juxtaposition here between the artsy painting and the sketch. "Dream Logic" just seems like a perfect title.

Adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment