Monday, July 19, 2010

True Blood's Crazy in Love Romeo

I had never watched True Blood before this weekend. As a premise, I can't say that the show interested me. And I certainly do not have HBO, so it's like I could watch it even if I was inspired to do so.

Of course, one promise of casserole and brownies later, and I'm at my good friend Abby's apartment with her second favorite couple Torgan watching a solid marathon of episodes 2-5 of True Blood's third season.
And boy, am I glad for that promise of casserole and brownies (thanks Tara, totally delicious) because I was introduced to one of my brand new characters in fiction:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Franklin Mott

The first time we are introduced to Franklin he is a pair of leather shoes sneaking around the home of one of the shoe's main heroes. That's all the character we get. He's fashionable, clearly, and he has some kind of agenda, an agenda that is surely nefarious in some manner.

The second time we see Franklin he's saddling up to, apparently, the only bar in town. Tara, the bartender, is having some kind of a troubled time, and he throws a little bit of game her way (this is the gun introduced in the first act, for real). On Tara's way out of the bar gets into a fight with a few hillbillies, and Franklin, much to my personal delight, holds one of them while she pummels the drunk idiot.

Then they have awesome vampire sex. Which is apparently much, much better than normal people sex. I was aware of this, because Tara's eyes did a really weird flutter thing with the whites, good times. For her.

Do keep in mind, throughout all of this, Franklin is a gentleman. His English accent is used to it's full charming extent, and his witticisms are strong.

This is where we get fun.

Franklin shows up at Tara's house, mesmerizes her to let him in, forces her to tell him everything she knows about the main characters of True Blood and then ties her to the toilet while he sleeps. We knew Franklin was bad news, but this was straight nasty. We're treated to a good establishing shot of Tara, tied up and crying, struggling and unable to free herself from her bonds.

So, naturally, Franklin brings her roses.

And professes his love for her.

Seriously.

The next handful of episodes involve Franklin's steep, steep decent into love and madness, which is a joy, absolute joy to watch.

He buys Tara a wedding dress. He gets jealous when her cousin texts her ("Who is this!" I'm paraphrasing, "I thought you said there was nobody in the picture, I'll kill him!") whom he quickly learns is gay (to a complete turn in personality, from angry jealous to delighted child) and tries to get rid of (watch the video, but take the super speed part and watch it five or six times [that's how it is on the show! Franklin is SO damned impressed with himself]).




When Tara tries to escape and fails, he beats himself up because SHE hurt him so bad. His poor emotions. He literally throws himself against the wall. Poor Tara has to calm him down by telling him everything will be alright, and that it's not HIM she's afraid of, it's everyone else. Right.

I love this character. He has the perfect mix of dark comedy and damn seriousness. He's believable as a cold hearted, conniving killer because that's what he is. But at his heart, at his core, he's fucking crazy and in love with anyone that will show him a touch of decency.

I might be romanticizing that last bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment